Re: AO-40

A0-40 is actually the only one satellite offering passes communication capabilities over a 15 minutes period.
As stated by the commanding teams it could be too risky to go on 3axis stab and deployed the solar pannel.
I don't know how long ao-40 will survive in his present state? and how long the batteries will be available
with enough power to sustain the satellite.

When the end of ao-40 will come is it possible at that time to go on 3 axis and deployed the solar array? And
is it possible to run the satellite only on solar pannels at the batteries end of life?

I guess it is probably possible to isolate the batteries banks from the charging units but i don't know if
the charging units will be able to drive the whole power budget.

As a suggestion (If possible) the 3 axis/solar pannel should be done near the end of the planned end of life
of AO-40 as a mean to extend the satellite life. I also remember that we don't know the physical structural
condition on AO-40 after the explosion aboard. I know some called the event an incident some others an
accident but it is in reality an explosion and the uses of the right words can help us all to clearly
understand the pro and cons about he satellite.

If ao-40 sustained internal physical dammages is it possible the solar pannels realeased mechanism sustained
dammages too?

I don't also remember to have read anything explainig whats causes the various TX loss and the antennas
losses, Is it cables sectionning or direct physical dammages on the TX or antennas units?

I hope someone can give us all an updated after accident report giving a probable chain breaking events
leading to the failures.

As an intensive care units language, is the patient condition is now stable and can we expect any futur
deteriorating conditions

I know all of this can only be guessing but it will help us all to picture out AO-40 present and futur state.

Thank's

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator