Solar activity and AO-40

I was listening on AO-40 again tonight and could not hear very much at
all.  The only signals I could copy were one CW transmission, LOTS of
leila and the MB.  The squint was predicted to be less than 7 degrees
and although the range was about 50,000km signals were much worse than
earlier this week with 60,000km+ range and 25 degree squint.  The only
thing I could attribute this change to is recent solar activity.  I
understand there is a major solar storm underway.  Has anyone else
experienced this phonomenon or do I need to go check my equipment?

73s
David Carr
KD5QGR