Re: Digital Voice on AO-40?

David Carr KD5QGR wrote:

>(snip...)
>However we all have some pretty sophisticated Intel DSP's on our hands that
>will do what we want for nothing for than the cost of a few ham-hours
>coding. One could argue that always having to have a PC around is a major
>detriment but then PC hardware is getting pretty tiny (physically). One
>could imagine an embedded linux based ham DSP solution that was essentially
>a 6" cube with cheap pentium class hardware that could run some pretty
>advanced and free software.
>(snip...)

I already have such a device at home - 2 channel analogue
I/O up to 48 ksps/16 bits per sample, a 1.5 GHz Athlon pro-
cessor, 512 MB RAM, 40 GB hard drive. It has real serial
ports (handy for GPS), as well as USB, FireWire and
ethernet.

It's called a laptop. The specs are nothing special; just
what I could get when I dropped by the computer
store after work. It came with XP (shudder), but I fixed
that and it now runs Linux. Slackware 9, though to make
things interesting the kernel is 2.6.0-test4. Works like a
charm.

Grid: CN89mg                       pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W     - Hospital/Shafte