Re: AO-40 data mode

George Kadziolka wrote:

> Although capable of fast operations, this would require a bit more than
> what a Pentium can provide (especially if it is running a GUI).

Pentium might be a problem but I ran some tests of KA9Q's Reed-Solomon and Viterbi decoders on a P4 2.6 GHz machine, and the speeds attained were rather frightening.  The GUI (KDE in my case) caused little more than idle load on the processor.  Lots of headroom left over for other things.  I see no dealbreakers under Windows either.

The biggest challenge is to digitize two channels at 300+ kHz bandwith inexpensively.  It's tough to get hams to spend money you know!

-Joe KM1P