Re: Satellite tracking Which one to start with?

> Could anybody suggest a satellite to start > with that is opperational. I
have

Hello.

I believe that your radios are 2m and 70cm all-mode rigs?

You can operate most of the operational low-earth-orbit (LEO) satellites
with
your radios.

You'll need to build a turnstile or other antennas to have good results,
however..
My attempts to use an omni for satellite work have been disappointing.

Currently, FO-29 (ssb/cw), SO-41 (FM) and SO-50 (FM) are operational LEO
birds. One note: SO-50 requires a CTCSS tone for uplink, 67.0 Hz. AO-7 may
also work for you.

There is one operational high-altitude bird, AO-40. If I could only work one
satellite, this would definately be the one! The 2.4 GHz downlink is
converted to 145 MHz, and heard on your 2m receiver. Your 70 cm
rig is used on uplink.

I have a similar station, a 2 meter all-mode rig (Icom ic-245) and an Icom
IC- 706Mk2g. This setup has worked
very well for me.

You can check out my station and how I built my AO-40 downlink at:
http://www.qsl.net/k0kn

If the site is slow or unavailable, try this mirror site:
http://www.planetkc.com/yokshs

Good luck!

73,

Kyle