Re: Sat Echo

>Bruce,

We will most probably start out at 9k6 up and down, then move to 38k4 and
possibly 76k8 for the digital operations.
Your point about many digitally equipped stations having 38k4 is well taken
and it may turn out to be the best overall downlink data rate.

Incidentally, testing of the operational software for Echo on the actual
flight hardware is set to start in about two weeks via a remote connection.

While operational modes for Echo have not been finalized, it has enough
transmitter power and receiver sensitivity to make 9k6 up / 38k4 down on
simple omni antennas quite feasible, at least for portions of the
orbit.  Those same capabilities should make it the best bird yet for FM
repeater operation.  It's going to be interesting trying to figure out
which mode to run the bird in.
Of course with 4 receivers and two transmitters we can run both modes at
the same time, with about half the transmitter power each.  Even at that,
both modes will work well with typical small Yagi stations.

Jim
jim@coloradosatellite.com
wd0e@amsat.org