Re: Beam for 70cm Uplink on AO-40

Yes, you can.  I made my first contacts on AO-40 using a 5 element Arrow
antenna for the uplink.  But I really had to pour out the power to make
it.  I live in a townhouse apartment so my stuff is very small and
portable.  So I use a small Diamond 10 element Yagi.  I wish I could go
bigger but the CC&Rs are 39" (the Diamond is slightly larger at 41" but
hard to tell without measuring.

The advantages of being circularly polarized is that you are less
susceptible to QSB.  So if you have space and money to purchase circularly
polarized antennas I would.  But if you are short of cash and/or need
something small and portable, take a look at what I use.  The Diamonds are
not prohibitively expensive and come in a 10 and 13 element that are broad
banded with really good gain for the size.

73,

Emily