From: Wayne Estes W9AE
To: amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Sent: 10/16/03 12:12 PM
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] RE: Sat Names for LoTW

Chuck Hemke wrote:

The one problem that needs some thought of how to solve is what do you
do when the satellite changes name when it gets accepted.
As an example:
P3D->AO-40
PCSAT->NO-44

Wayne replies:

This is rarely a problem because few 2-way contacts are made before the
'AMSAT' satellite name is assigned.  The AO40 designation was given to
P3D long before 2-way communications were enabled.

In the case of PCSAT it doesn't seem like it would be too much of a
burden for the first users to edit the few log entries that were made
before the NO-44 name was assigned.

I still think that LOTW should use the existing "NORAD" satellite names.
It is counterproductive to create a new list of satellite names.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA