Re: RE: Sat Names for LoTW

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:34:11 -0400
sco@sco-inc.com wrote:

> LOTW is a "Johnny Come Lately". I suggest that we send letters to the
> ARRL suggesting that THEY get their act together and use the satellite
> names that have already been established. Why in the world would we
> let them create new names and make us change? LOG WINDOW will continue
> to use the name that is supplied by NOVA. Now if NOVA wants to change
> its names then LW will have those new names.
>
> I would further suggest that LOTW accept as a "match" both AO-07 and
> AO-7, RS12/13 and RS-12 and RS-13. That is the logical thing to do.
>
> W4SCO

The one problem that needs some thought of how to solve is what do you
do when the satellite changes name when it gets accepted.
As an example:
P3D->AO-40
PCSAT->NO-44

The easiest way is if ARRL has some sort of equivalence table.  I would
hope that they thought of this when they designed it, but satellites may
be the only place where this happens.  If they do this, then adding a
few other names should be easy.