Re: OSCAR-11 Report

Hello Clive,
 I have the soundcard program MixW and want to monitor
the UO-11 telemetry. What mode should I use ( FM or
SSB ) and will MixW work by itself or do I need another
decoding program ??

What about also the 2401 MHz telemetry frequency ???

Jeff K7XQ

Quoting Clive Wallis <clivew@zetnet.co.uk>:

>                 OSCAR-11 REPORT   14 October 2003
>

> During the period 06 September to 13 October 2003 the
145.826 MHz. beacon
> has been heard transmitting continuous ASCII
telemetry from 11 to 21
> September, and 02 to 12 October. During this period
good signals have been
> received. Telemetry transmissions are expected to
resume around 22 October
> for about 10 days.  Once again I am indebted to Jeff
KB2M who has
> provided telemetry from 13 to 21 September, while I
have been on holiday.
> Many thanks Jeff.
>
> On 11 September at 17:11:37 UTC, while searching for
a signal, I was
> particularly fortunate to hear the beacon switch ON.
Telemetry showed
> the 145.826 MHz. beacon temperature rapidly rising,
frame by frame,
> immediately after it had switched ON.
>
> The internal temperatures have increased by 12C
during the period,
> indicating that the eclipse times are continuing to
decrease.  The
> temperatures are now 17.0C, 14.4C, and 21.4C
respectively, for battery,
> telemetry electronics and command decoder,
respectively. The external
> temperatures have shown less variation than
previously reported, and are
> generally in the range 0 to 30C.
>
> Temperatures are expected to increase, reaching a
peak in November with
> higher temperatures than in 2002.
>
> The battery voltage observed during daylight passes
has increased.
> Observations have varied between 13.5 and 14.0 volts,
with an average value
> of 13.8 volts.
>
> Spin periods of 430 to 720 seconds have been measured
from the magnetometer
> telemetry. This indicates a trend towards normal
rotational speeds, and the
> direction of rotation is normal.
>
> The mode-S beacon has been heard by Christian F1AFZ.
He reports S3-S4
> signals with 85 cm dish, 3.5 turn helix, and AIDC
3733 converter.  Many
> thanks for that report Christian.
>
> Users of OSCAR-11 should note that the date in the
telemetry is advanced by
> three days.  The time is advanced by 19.0 minutes,
and this error is
> increasing by about one minute per year.
>
> OSCAR-11 now operates in a default mode, controlled
by the watch-dog timer.
> The satellite transmits continuous ASCII telemetry
for about 10 days on
> 145.826 MHz., followed by about 10 days of silence.
This regular
> sequence might be interrupted by ground control.
>
> The mode-S beacon is ON continuously, even when the
VHF beacon is
> OFF, nominally transmitting an unmodulated carrier on
2401.5 MHz.
> There is however a VERY low level of AFSK modulation,
(now a constant
> 1200 Hz. audio tone), which has been detected on
strong signals.
> Telemetry indicates that the beacon has partially
failed, and is
> delivering half power.  This beacon is a useful test
source for those
> testing mode-S converters, as an alternative to OSCAR-
40. However the
> signals are very weak, and there is a lot of Doppler.
Users should
> also note that the polarisation of OSCAR-11 is LHC.
Even if you can't
> hear OSCAR-11, your equipment may still be OK for
OSCAR-40. Any
> reports of reception on 2401.5 MHz. would be most
welcome.  Please
> e-mail g3cwv@amsat.org.
>
> The 435.025 MHz. beacon is normally OFF.  It can only
be heard on the
> very rare occassions when the satellite is being
commanded by ground
> control, ie. within range of Guildford, UK.  When the
435 beacon is
> transmitting, the 145 beacon is normally OFF.  The
data transmitted
> is mainly binary.
>
> Listeners to OSCAR-11 may be interested in visiting
my web site.

> The web site contains details about using a soundcard
for data
> capture, and also details about using hardware
demodulators. There is
> software for capturing data, and decoding ASCII
telemetry and WOD.
> There is an archive of raw data for analysis, which
is continually
> being expanded, as new data is captured.  Originally
this was for
> WOD, but it is now being expanded to include ASCII
telemetry. At the
> present time the telemetry covers 1996 to April
2003.  I will add
> other years as time permits.  In parallel there is a
news archive
> which provides an overview of the state of the
satellite, at the
> times when the telemetry was captured.
>
> If anyone out there can provide any data,
particularly for the 1984
> to 1993 years, this would be most appreciated.
Please e-mail me
> with details.  However please DO NOT SEND ANY FILES,
before futher
> discussion.
>
> Also included are some audio files, examples of each
type of data
> transmitted by OSCAR-11, each one plays for about ten
seconds.  There
> are also examples of mode-S reception.  All the audio
files are
> zipped, so that they can be played off-line.  These
should help
> listeners identify the various types of data, and
give an indication
> of the signal quality required for successful
decoding.

> The URL is -
>
>       http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/clivew/
>
> If you place this bulletin on a terrestrial packet
network, please
> use the bulletin identifier $BID:U2RPT90.CWV, to
prevent duplication.

> 73 Clive G3CWV   g3cwv@amsat.org
those of the author.
satellite program!