From: Stan [mailto:stan@capecod.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2003 9:33 PM
To: John Wilcox / NS1Z
Cc: Keith O'Brien; amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Sat Names for LoTW

Hello the Net:

As I slowly learn of the LOTW program by the ARRL,  I must ask why the
details of the satellite name are needed ?

The MODE of operation for either the DXCC, WAS or VUCC award programs
only requires that the MODE be specified,
satellite or sat.  NOT which specific satellite.   Imagine accounting
for using multiple satellites simultaneously... from a geographical
location at the intersection of 4, 4 digit grids.....

KISS mode, the LOTW should only require the mode,  being defined as:
SSB, CW, RTTY, SAT   etc.  etc.

Are the HFers also burdened with this depth of detail ?   or only the
VHF/UHF/MICROWAVE/SATELLITE operators  ?

Possibly the HF operators have to specify frequency to 1 Hz accuracy or
the specific Hz shift when using FSK  ??

Maybe the LOTW program(mer) needs to be reprogrammed...... maybe time
for REV #2.

Stan, WA1ECF