From: "Emily Clarke" <w0eec@AMSAT.Org>
To: "AMSAT" <amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 11:51 AM
Subject: [amsat-bb] RTTY Activity on AO-40

We've had an increase in RTTY activity on AO-40 - this morning there were 3
other active stations besides myself (W0LMD, NX7U and UA0AET).  The
settings we have been using are

170Hz Shift
45.45 Baud
Non-Inverted

MixW2 and MMTTY seem to work equally well.  The error rates are very low
once you get it dialed in.

For those of you who haven't worked RTTY before it's an excellent digital
mode (and a 2X multiplier if you are in the AO-40 Birthday Bash
contest.)  It really seems to work much better than phone at high squint
angles such as the ALON at 14 as it was this morning at 13:00 when I first
checked in.

If you have never worked RTTY before it's not very difficult.  You can
identify an RTTY signal in a waterfall display by a very distinctive set of
two parallel "tracks" that are 170Hz apart.  Just click on the signal in
the waterfall and your software should lock onto it and automatically track
it (AFC) as the signal frequency drifts because of Doppler.

You need a soundcard interface and software.  MixW2 is very good but the
registration is $50.  MMTTY is free.  There is also TrueTTY ($39) but I
haven't  any experience using it.  All of these can be located with a
Google search.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm
ARRL - AMSAT - MSARC - ARCA - Project OSCAR
http://www.projectoscar.net
http://www.emilyshouse.com/W0EEC
http://www.experthams.net/ao7