RE: RTTY on AO-40

Hi Emily and all

On a properly operating SSB transmitter, there's no difference in the on-air emmision characteristics for AFSK vs. FSK.  Either is narrowband digital FM.

However with AFSK, there's more chance that the sending station will have hum, RF feedback, or even a live microphone, in the transmitted audio, causing a wider bandwidth signal than is necessary.

Using AMTOR FEC would be less error-prone than using conventional Baudot coding, due to each character being sent twice in the process of transmitting the data.  Hence lower power could be used with a low error rate than with Baudot.  The bandwidth would be slightly higher, due to the higher baud rate.

73, Bob, KD7NM, former AEA customer service tech