Re: AO-40 question

Hi John,

Are you following the AMSAT recommended method from the FAQ?  I found it to
be flawless.

1) Find the middle beacon (if you can't hear it, you can't hear anything...)
2) Move your transmitter to 435.700 and never change it.
3) Put your receiver 35KHz down from the middle beacon.
4) Put your transmitter in CW mode and send a short burst of dits.  Tune up
and down 5KHz in steps of 1KHz - you should find it (I am usually 37KHz
below the MB for some reason.)  If you don't, your power is insufficient to
make the bird.

Once you find your downlink you can lock your transmitter and receiver
together and tune where you want, switch to phone mode and make small
adjustments as needed.  I have found that once I start a QSO I leave my
transmitter alone and just tune my receiver to the person I am talking with
- that seems to work very well.  However, in a net or extended QSO you
might need to make small touch ups to your tx to stay on frequency.

73,

Emily