FM Repeater on FO-29 Frequencies

Hi Everyone,

I've recently started to hear an FM repeating station of some sort when
Mexico comes into FO-29s footprint.  Judging by the strength of the signal
it must be putting several 100's of watts into an FM signal somewhere
around 145.950 +/- doppler - FO-29's uplink.  It gets into the passband
wiping out the bottom of the passband and causing other side effects on all
signals. I first noticed it when my CW signal started to quaver (FM
slightly) and I tracked down a big signal and switched modes until I found
it was FM.  I've detected it now on a number of passes - it is strongest
when the Mexican interior is in the footprint which leads me to believe it
isn't in Baja California (though it still could be.)

I'm assuming this is an illegal repeater of some sort (tone controlled)
that is using sat SSB frequencies and shouldn't be.  I'm curious about two
things:

1) Is loading FO-29 up with a lot of high power FM going to have an adverse
effect on the satellite's health in general (I can't believe it is good for
it.)

2) Is there any way that stations like this can be located and shut
down?  Is there an enforcement agency that we can report things like this too?

73,

Emily

Emily E. Clarke
eec@clarke-design.com