Re: GPS to use for Grid Square/Maidenhead

The GPS-35 looks like just what I was after -- although it's black,
which in TX is deadly to electronics.  If it was in a white package it
would operate much cooler and blend into the roof of my white car, but
that's a minor quibble.

Now if I can just get a MIM and a cheap fixed-mount APRS transceiver ..
saw a couple of modules a while back that looked like they might work
.. and a second 2 meter 1/4 wave magmount, I'm all set.  And now I'm
way OT .. although if I could rig it up to uplink on one of the digi
sats at the same time, I wouldn't be .. lol

On Sunday, Sep 14, 2003, at 09:42 US/Central, Edward R. Cole wrote:

> Ron, Bruce:
>
> Look at the Garmin GPS-35.  I use it for receiving GPS position for
> APRS on
> marine buoys.  I think the website is www.garmin.com but you should
> locate
> it easily via google or with other search engines.
>
> Price runs about $150, and it looks like computer mouse and simply
> outputs
> via a cable (which also conveys power: 9-15 vdc).  You can configure it
> from the serial port of your computer if you wish special data
> outputs.  I
> just take the std gps word it outputs to a mim or tiny-trac board for
> interfacing with a VHF radio.  I am very pleased with the sensitivity
> of
> the unit (it will acquire while sitting in the back seat of a
> SUV...really).
>
> 73 - Ed
>
> At 07:04 PM 9/13/2003 -0500, Bruce Bostwick wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, Sep 12, 2003, at 20:21 US/Central, Ronald Nutter wrote:
>>
>>> I am trying to find a basic gps that will give me Maidenhead.  I
>>> bought a
>>> Geko-101 from Garmin but it appears that it doesnt do maidenhead but
>>> instead
>>> offers MGRS.  Suggestions ?
>>
>> Dunno .. I'm still looking for one without a display that will sit on
>> the roof of my SUV and feed NMEA to an APRS encoder/transmitter .. and
>> can't seem to find the blind mount ones that are used for that.  Good
>> luck .. I'm sure one is out there.  I know my Magellan Meridian won't
>> do it, but then I bought that one before I found out Magellan doesn't
>> seem to give a hoot about Mac owners and I should have gotten a
>> Garmin.
>>  Still looking for a good OS X app that supports either.  Sigh ..
>>
>> Heard from a flight instructor:
>> "The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
>> going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
>> torn and twisted metal."
>>

>> "Go ahead and do it, you can apologize later." -- RADM Grace Hopper,
>> 1906-1992
>> "The sunset is an illusion, but the beauty is real." -- Richard Bach
>>
>> ----
>> Sent via amsat-bb@amsat.org. Opinions expressed are those of the
>> author.
>> Not an AMSAT member? Join now to support the amateur satellite
>> program!

> author.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve
life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out
death in judgement. Even the very wise cannot see all ends." -- Gandalf