Re: GPS to use for Grid Square/Maidenhead

Bruce Bostwick <lihan161051@earthlink.net> wrote:

>(snip...)
>I know my Magellan Meridian won't do it, but then I bought that one before
>I found out Magellan doesn't seem to give a hoot about Mac owners and I
>should have gotten a Garmin.  Still looking for a good OS X app that
>supports either.  Sigh ..

So why not write one? Decoding NMEA is trivial - you
can figure the format out by inspection. Just remember that
it was intended for nautical uses, so speeds are, by
default, in knots. I got burnt on this once after I took my
Magellan GPS and laptop for a drive and then did some
plots of how fast and in what direction my car was going.

Grid: CN89mg                       pied a terre..."
ICBM: 49 16.05 N 122 56.92 W     - Hospital/Shafte