Re: PCsat -- power needed to be heard

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Rochte, Robert wrote:

> I made my first successful uplink to PCsat yesterday using only 6 watts or
> so out of an HT connected to a 5/8 wave antenna on the car.  Was I
> exceedingly lucky to make the connection using so little power, or is this
> typical performance for PCsat and other packet satellites?

This is typical and is what PCsat was designed to do.  Some have even
gotten in at the 1 Watt level.  The problem is QRM.  And not just other
HAMS, but all the unlicensed operations in South America, Indonesia and
other countries.. that might be transmitting on that 145.825 freq.

So yes, 1 Watt can work, but only if no one else within the 4 million
square miles around you is transmitting at that instant.  (2000 mile
radius)

de WB4APR@amsat.org, Bob

---
You are currently subscribed to aprssig as: bruninga@usna.edu