Re: Temperature behaviour of semiconductors

Hi William,

Here is a recent EE Times article that can help
on the silicon vs germanium issue:

http://www.eetimes.com/design_library/da/soc/OEG20030822S0028

 From the article: "In the past, the main problem with germanium,
besides its limited availability and high cost, was the impossibility
of growing a stable oxide on it that could passivate the surface,
act as an etch protector and, most important, be used as a high-quality
gate insulator. Silicon, on the other hand, gained from the ability to
grow silicon dioxide, a material with properties precisely matched
to the needs of the semiconductor industry"

---

There were many cold-cathode tubes developed over the years
including:

voltage regulators (OA2)
rectifiers (0Z4)
Triode switch tubes (ER-21A)
Tetrode switch tubes (KN-22)
Photo-detectors (922)
Photo-multipliers (931A)
waveguide TR and anti-TR switches (721A)
Decade counter tubes for digital computers (TR-DC-11)
Nixie display tubes (NL-5441A)
Radiation detectors (Geiger-Mueller) (MX-168)

And probably more but this is all I could think of
off the top of my head.

It is possible to use the negative resistance characteristic
of an OA2 or even a neon lamp to make an oscillator. I
imagine some type of low frequency amplifier could be
made as well but I don't recall one.

The old arc transmitters of 1914 vintage by Federal
used a big negative resistance "tube" to make a megawatt
(yes megawatt!) level CW/FSK transmitter but they were
heated with kerosene so not exactly cold-cathode but
they didn't have a "heater" or a "filament."

The gas plasma display tubes that are becoming popular
in big TVs these days use unheated cathodes.

So, there are lots of uses for cold-cathode tubes and many
are still in use and even readily available. No L-band
amplifiers  that I know of however!

73,

Tony AA2TX