Re: Maximum squint for AO-40 to be usable

On 12 Sep 2003 at 21:31, Ronald Nutter wrote:

> If I programmed Nova right, I am getting squint settings now.  I am seeing a
> squint of 35 degrees plus.  I have gotten the impression that at 20 degrees
> AO-40 is difficult to work.  Is this right ?
>
> Ron
> Ka4kyi

When using UHF i can work AO-40 until 25 degrees. As you can see the transponder close at MA 220 at a squint
of 36 degrees. Past the 25 degrees the satellite spin is very noticeable and if you are using linear antennas
the QSB will be very high. I still can work ao-40 but signal are often marginal and you should check your
power when AO-40 is close to the earth to avoid LEILA triggering. On mode L some seems to report worse
conditions under high squint and they have to switch to UHF but i cannot comment more on this yet, The L
banders will give you more on this.

Luc Leblanc VE2DWE
Coordonnateur AMSAT pour le Québec
Quebec AMSAT coordinator