Re: How much power to reach SO-41 ?

On Thu, 2003-09-11 at 01:04, hlong@btinternet.com wrote:
> Hi Ron
>
> > I have been trying for several weeks to get into SO-41 with a ICW32 and an
> > Arrow antenna.  I either just barely make it or not at all.  What is the
> > average power that everyone is using to talk to SO-41 ?
>
> This might be bad news, but we demo'd working this bird with 50mW and an Arrow almost fully quieting even over Europe on a Saturday during the day during the recent AMSAT-UK Colloquium. I find it more sensitive than UO-14.
>
> It is more difficult to hear than UO-14 as the downlink is lower power.
>
> 73 Howard G6LVB

I think you're confusing SO-41 with SO-50.  SO-41 just recently began
turning on again, and wasn't on to my knowledge over field day.  SO-41
has a very strong downlink, SO-50 has a very weak one.  SO-41 is much
harder to get into, but i'm not sure that's as much to do with power as
it is to do with a narrower receiver.  On UO-14 I can usually leave the
transmit fixed the whole pass and have no problems, with SO-41 I believe
tuning the uplink is a must.

Ryan Butler, KB0JQO