September President's Letter

   It seems only a few days ago since we were all welcoming Summer after
a good "AMSAT Dayton"
Now in just over a week we will be in the Fall season, and getting ready
to attend the AMSAT Space Symposium
and Annual meeting which is in Toronto., Canada.
  Full details of the Hotel, Registration forms and a detailed
Preliminary agenda are available from our
Web Page (www.amsat.org).
Many of you who have been to these annual events will recall that on the
Saturday Evening we have a banquet
and a draw for Major Prizes.
Well this year will be no exception as our Prizes are truly Major ones,
  supplied by some of the BIG Names in Amateur
Radio such as BIRD,  ICOM,  and YAESU (Vertex Standard). At  Least 2
major satellite Radios
are waiting for you to win them together with many other very acceptable
prizes, a full list will appear on
our web site in a few days time. Your chances of taking home a
  substantial prize will probably be around 1 in 20 if you
register and attend, of course if you don't register and attend then the
chance drops down substantially to Zero.

As I write this I am awaiting the confirmation of our Guest Speaker, not
wishing to  "Count my chickens before they Hatch" I will
await the confirmation before I announce the name, but I can assure you
of a very interesting Evening.

This year we will not be giving the Traditional Plaques away, but will
be providing our hard working volunteers with a different
but permanent form recognition.
I realize that many of you may be worried by the publicity that Toronto
received earlier in the Year concerning the SARS  outbreak,
let me assure you "That episode is entirely over"  and was overstated by
the Press and Media, ( particularly in the USA),
  accordingly I look forward to welcoming  our many AMSAT friends
  particularly from around the Great Lakes Area,
  as this will probably be the last  AMSAT  meeting in this area for  10
(or more)  years.
Several people have expressed  the thought that they don't want to
travel because of the possibility of terrorists!
Well as I said just after 911, the only way to beat the terrorists  is
to ignore them, otherwise  we are giving in to their wishes
  of crippling the World economy. Just to prove that I have the courage
of my convictions in this matter, I am flying across the Atlantic
today  9-11-2003 so please join me in showing  Bin-Whats-his- name and
the rest of them what you think
We have  17 excellent papers which will be read on the Friday and the
Saturday, dealing with a variety of  technical  and operating subjects,
  I feel sure that the program , will meet everyone's requirements.
Remember the Hotel Block of rooms at a special price Closes on Monday 15
September so make your reservations in advance
(1-800-905-2811) advise them that you want to book for the AMSAT meeting
the room Price is $119 Cdn which is about $84.50 US
a real bargain for a first rate Hotel, so I look forward to seeing you
and the XYL ( same price room for 2), and yes, there is a Spouses Program.
Also Register with Martha (by phone) using Visa or Master Card on or
before Monday 15th and save some registration fees.

73
Robin Haighton VE3FRH
President AMSAT