Link Budget Calculation

Hi. I'm trying to calculate the signal to noise ratio for a digital data
link. I have found numerous equations and methods. The most popular seems to
be the received energy per bit to noise density ratio(Eb/No). I've performed
the calculations and have a value in decibels, however I'm unclear as to
what it really means. Is there anyone you can help? Please respond to
kd7tqk@hotmail.com Thanks in advance for your time.

Keith