Re: Re: [OT] ft-736 keyer question

Hmm?

Well in 1996 I bought a TenTec Scout (which has an internal keyer) that
required one to use a 3-cond. plug, so I went to RS and bought one for my
old Skilcraft straight key that I bought in 1958 (from a store in New
England called the Radio Shack...before the chain existed).

It also works for my FT-847 and FT-817 which I believe also require 3-cond
(stereo) plugs.  Never have owned a paddle so still just pound the brass
(yes the old key is brass).  I can get out an acceptable 18-20wpm with it.

Really is this so hard to adjust to?  If you have an old rig that requires
a plain 2-cond phone plug, then buy a stereo/mono adapter ;-)

Ed - AL7EB
{truthfully, I don't do much "cw", except for eme where my computer
generates pre-saved cw messages...a perfect 18wpm} {brain still has to decode}

At 12:36 PM 9/9/03 -0400, you wrote:
>Frustrating, perhaps, but necessary if you're going to use a paddle with
the internal keyer.

>> From: K5OE@aol.com
>> Date: 2003/09/09 Tue AM 07:41:30 EDT
>> To: w4epi@comcast.net,  smeuse@mara.org,  amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org
>> Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] [OT] ft-736 keyer question
>>
>> w4epi writes:
>>
>> > Hi Steve,
>> > I am an FT-736r driver too, and was successful at getting a straight key
>> > to work with it.
>> > The secret is the plug. You most likely have a two-conductor RCA plug on
>> > the end of your key; the 736 requires the three-conductor version. I
>> > searched my AMSAT-BB archives for the message I got when <I> asked for
>> > help in this area, but no luck.
>>
>> This seems to be a goofy thing with Yaesu.  My FT-100 is the same way
(requires a 3-conductor plug).  That makes the CW key incompatible with
every other rig I own.  Frustrating.