[OT] ft-736 keyer question

Greeting folks,
                According to the 736 manual, I should be able to hook up an
external keyer or a straight key without having to have the internal keyer
module installed. Is this correct or am I just interpreting the manual
incorrectly? I've tried to connect my external keyer and a straight key up
with zero success. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Steve, N1JFU

P.S. Anyone have a keyer module they want to sell?