Ao-40 site question

I've been given the opportunity to put a AO-40 recieve station on the
top of a tall building here on campus.  I'm in Houston, TX---it appears
that AO-40 will always be south of me (judging by a predicting a few
passes).  Will this trend hold long term?  Ie: can I get away with a
site that can only see ~90-270 degrees azimuth?

Overview of what I'm doing (suggestions welcome):
I'm putting an autotracking primestar dish w/ downconverter and wideband
100-1000mhz discone on the roof of a 10 story building.  These will be
connected to a PCR-1000 via a relay for antenna selection.  The reciever
will be attached to a computer on the roof that will stream the audio
over the campus network as well as accept/display tuning/positon
commands via the network (eventually a web page).  My goal is to
automate much of the tracking/tuning (not to hard with today's software)
so that wheneven AO-40 comes above the horizon people will be able to
listen live to an ?!amateur radio communications satellite!?!  If the
university agrees, prehaps the streams will be available over the
internet as well.  I'd like to be able to listen to/track all the sats
but as I'm footing the bill for this thus far I can't afford all the
antenna/rotator/switching hardware to make that happen yet.  I decided
to go with the discone because it enables me to utilize the huge tuning
range of the PCR-1000 to show off a bit of amateur radio beyond just the
sats (they're only above the horizon for limited amount of time).  Just
curious, will a 0db discone without a preamp be able to hear any of the
LEOs?  That would be cool.

The complexity of this project is starting to run away from be a bit.
One thing that's got me scared is lightning.  I'm putting antennas and
quite a bit on my (expensive) equipment on a tall building where I won't
be able to disconnect it during a storm.  There are several other tall
buildings around as well but my antennas will still look like a good
lightning rod.  I've been doing quite a bit of reading about lightning
protection.  Thus far all its done is make an already expensive project
even worse.  I've been checking out rf protectors by PolyPhaser but
that's as I under stand it only one small part of my system.  It sounds
like I need protection on my network lines, my coax, my rotator control
lines, my power supply lines and my antenna switching relay lines.  In
addition I thought it might be a good idea to have a coaxial relay that
would enable me short the center conductor of my reciever's input to
ground in threatening situations.  My is situation complicated by the
fact that all this will be on top of a building where grounding might be
more difficult howeverlightning rods already are installed (and they
might be a decent ground).  Do any of you have any experience/advice here?

Thanks for hearing out my long winded post.  I'd love to hear some
suggestions and comments...
-David Carr
KD5QGR