Re: learning question

Generally speaking, spacecraft is placed into an orbit by the launch
vehicle. (The only exception are transfer orbits such as GTO.) The 1st and
second stages provide crude energy (i.e. velocity), and the last stage
provides the accurate orbital insertion capability. Once the upper stage
achieves orbit, it separates the spacecraft, performs a collision
avoidance maneuver and deorbits it self.
The designated orbit is anything but guesswork. Launch vehicles achieve
the orbit with great accuracy. Most will even provide 3 sigma values of
their orbital insertion quality in the users manual.
Attached below are some links for America's favorite launch candles. You
can download the manuals and see the payload accommodations including sep
systems and orbit capabilities.
Assi 4x1kx/kk7kx

http://www.boeing.com/defense-space/space/delta/guides.htm
http://www.orbital.com/LaunchVehicle/SpaceLaunchVehicles/Pegasus/index.html