Re: Re: tuning on DXpeditions

Anthony Monteiro wrote:
> Given how simple computer tuning is (i.e. 1990's technology,)
> I don't know why everyone doesn't use it all the time
> unless your radios don't support it.

Well, that is part of the reason I don't use computer control.  My home
satellite radio is a Yaesu FT-736.  Now, I know some of you are saying
"wait a minute, the 736 has CAT computer control".  You are sort of
right.  What the 736 does not allow is for you to grab the VFO to move
one of the bands, and have the computer adjust the other.  You MUST use
total computer control, and at least in my opinion, QSYing with a
keyboard is a royal pain in the ass - and yes, I have done it.  Also
remember that the "one true rule" works great if EVERYONE in the
conversation is using full doppler tuning.  If any one person is manual,
it becomes a real pain for either all the computer controlled people, or
the manual person, or more likely both.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org