Re: AO-40

Michael wrote:

At 10:53 PM 8/31/2003 +0200, you wrote:
>I don't know about Nova, but if you are hearing the beacon at 20 dB (about
>three S-units) or more above your noise level, I can't see why you wouldn't
>hear a QSO, if there were any. That would leave ample margin for even the
>weak signals.

I don't know that 20db is 3 S units - I've read a lot of discussion about
S-Units on modern transceivers being more like 3-4db.  I think this is
about right for the Icom 910H because I receive the beacon around S6 and
U-Band (10db below the beacon) uplinks at S2-3 depending on LEILA.  So
technically if you are only hearing the beacon at S3, my guess is that
people having QSOs are way down in the mud.

My procedure for the 910H (other's may vary) is this.

1) Adjust the variable attenuator (SET-ATT) until the noise floor is S0
(But not with no bars showing).  If you can't show S0, Adjust for S1 and
subtract 1 from the following.
2) I manually adjust my dish, so I roughly point it and find the beacon
frequency.  If I show S-6 to S-7 I leave it alone. This rarely happens on
the first try. :-)
3) Peak the signal by moving the dish in small increments.  Since I
manually position it, I have mounted a remote speaker out by my dish so I
can hear it.
4) Follow the AMSAT recommended method (TX CW at 435.700 and tune your
receiver ~35KHz below the beacon) to find your uplink.

This pretty much is foolproof, although if I hear a weak QSO I may try and
peak the dish on that, particularly if it's someone I want to work.

73,

Emily

W0EEC - CM87tm
ARRL - AMSAT - MSARC - ARCA - Project OSCAR
http://www.emilyshouse.com/W0EEC
http://www.experthams.net/ao7
http://www.projectoscar.net