Re: Calling SO-41, can you hear me ?

Hi Ron,

I don't know about running 50 watts ERP that seems high to me.  But it's
possible. I was running about 10W into a 9db yagi today when I worked
it.   And you won't get that with any Arrow and a W32 - here's why:

Icom W32 on 9.6V Battery Pack:  ~3.5W  (3W on 7.2V Battery Pack)
Estimated maximum gain of 3ele Arrow 2m Antenna  7db (probably more like a
standard 3 ele yagi - 5db)
7db = 4.92 x 3.5W=17.3W ERP

Even with a 12V power source, the Icom will put out 5W and your ERP would
be ~25W - 25W short.

My ERP was about 80W.

One other thing I have noticed (and have to track down on my end) is that
the SaudiSat birds seem to run narrow FM.  This means that you probably
need to correct more precisely on your transmit frequency than you would
for UO-14.   Either that and/or my FM IF stage is slightly off frequency
which I won't be able to check until later today.  I didn't seem to get
into the bird until I tuned my tx for doppler.  Alternatively I could have
the incorrect frequency, but I think it is the same as SO-50.

Hope this helps!

- Emily