Re: Question to Sat ops about ISS

Grant - AA9LC asked:
> I am also confused about the disinterest in the ISS by some AMSAT folks.

Here is my answer to that.  Operation is so hit and miss, I don't even
bother anymore.  Let me explain myself.  I have no real interest in
anything except voice operating on satellites.  Extremely seldom is there a
live body at the radio on ISS (and MIR before that and the Space Shuttles
as well).  When there is only an extremely unlikely chance that someone
will be operating voice from ISS, I long ago got tired of listening to
nothing there.  Even if there is someone on, it's so congested that only a
quick hello may be possible - same reason I'm seldom on UO-14 except on the
far west coast passes where there is only a few people on the bird.  And at
least on a duplex satellite, you can tell when you are not getthing
through.  With ISS contacts, you have no way of knowing if you are getting
through other than the astronaut responding to someone else.

I will point out that I do not have a lot of experience to base this on,
and most of that is quite old.  I have NEVER heard ISS on the air.  I have
heard a few passes on Space Shuttle missions where an astronaut has been
operating, and have heard MIR once with a live person.  Despite an AO-10
class station, I have never been able to break the pileup to make even a
UO-14 mid USA type contact.

73
Jim Walls - K6CCC
k6ccc@amsat.org