R: being heard over LEILA siren

Hi Roy VE7BPB,

LEILA do not strikes and do not notch any signal using L band even if you
run power in excess to be several and several dB over the beacon.

When LEILA strikes on you while using L band it is because LEILA is
looking at a RADAR signal in U band and not at  your strong signal in
L band.

During operation i normally have both the U band Tx and L band Tx ON

If LEILA notch me or siren on me because i run power in excess in U band
i can switch to L mode and soverimpose my signal to the above notch to
end my QSO in L band.

If the station in contact with me has only U band capability than it is
necessary for him to wait the end of the notch.

In conclusion the siren and the noch are ON only because of strong signals
in to the U band no matter what appens in L band.

LEILA in U band is a frustrating situation  because LEILA limits any
possibility to rise signals at the same signal level allowed to a L band
station so that the AO40 transponder seams to be very small democratic
from this point of view.

The only way to be democratic and balanced seams to run signals 10 dB
belove the beacon level using L band or switch off LEILA completely from
the U band

73" de

i8CVS Domenico