Re: working split on DXpeditions

" Wayne replies:

L-band uplinks aren't notched by LEILA, but the loud siren is still there.
I would argue that you are running TOO MUCH UPLINK POWER if your voice is Q5
copy on top of the LEILA siren.

Wayne Estes W9AE
Mundelein, IL, USA
"

    Jim - KL7QR responds ...

    In my case I use just 5 watts on L mode with a 1.8 meter dish and I can
be heard through LIELA.   I respectfully disagree based on practical
experience.
    Your premise:  IF ( a station can be heard Q5 through LIELA on L mode)
THEN ( they are using too much power ) is false.  Therefore any conclusion
of any arguement that uses this mistaken premise is also false.
    I have had several situations on the air where I was Q5 through LIELA
even though I am a QRP station.  It may not be 100% of the time but often
this is true in the SSB mode.
    I would venture to say if I were to operate in the CW mode the receiving
stations would have even more success copying my QRP signal through the
LIELA.
    I think if a DXpedition were to operate split in the L mode it would
work better than if they were in U mode.  I think that if LIELA was
triggered by the U band uplinkers then I would still be heard often times Q5
while always using acceptable power levels on L mode.
    Practical case in point.   On the 19th of July 2003 12:13 GMT there was
a pileup on station HK3GAL Ger from Bogota Columbia.  There was lots of U RX
AGC receiver attenuation causing "QSB"  from the number of U band uplinkers
trying to call this station.  I made one call using 5 watts on L mode and
got him the first try.
    My conclusion is that L mode works better.  You can often times
outperform U band uplinks with just a fraction of the power.  My guess is
one major reason is the L1 RX AGC attenuation is often less than 1 dB while
the U RX AGC attenuation is always much higher.

    Best regards,
    Jim KL7QR / 7
    Phoenix Arizona DM33up

Jim Tudehope