UO-14 and FM Birds.

Hello all.

With the resent problem with UO-14 the sat activity in South America and
other parts of the world has been greatly diminished; UO-14 was popular
because it was very economical and easy to work, a simple FM dual-bander
or a pair of inexpensive VHF/UHF radios were enough to work it, so now
it seems that the only FM option left is SO-50, but this bird has been
very elusive, it has been reported as active when over the US/Canada and
out of range of the vast majority of South America operators specially
those south of the equator or, as my self, with some limitation to the
north.

Now to my question.

As I understand SO-50 is activated by designated ground stations located
at various locations and an onboard timer turns it off after a fix
period of time, so any one knows if or how can operators in South
America and other parts of the world were there is not a designated
ground operator can work this bird?

It has been sad for me to read at local forums that some hams in South
American are dismantling their FM sat stations because the UO-14's
problem and the inability to work SO-50.

Have a nice afternoon.

73/DX Jose M. Valdes R. (Joe) YV5LIX
http://www.yv5lix.org.ve