Re: First ever model airplane to cross the Atlantic

Rick,

I can only guess, but the French ARGOS satellite is used for many
Oceanographic Studies.  A variant is one our company is acquiring which
does GPS tracking of an marine buoy.  The GPS data is uplinked around
1.7GHz to Argos which downlinks to an earth station.  The data is then
output by e-mail to the user.

The Argos package is very light so could be used with the aircraft.

BTW I built six custom in-house ice-going buoys that do APRS tracking on
commercial VHF frequencies.  This is for the oil-spill recovery industry.

I hope someone that knows the details will tell us what was used!

BTW great article in CQ-VHF on Echo!!!

73, Ed - AL7EB
Comm Tech
Cook Inlet Spill Prevention & Response, Inc.
Nikiski, Alaska