Re: SO-50 on 17 Aug 03

On Sun, 2003-08-17 at 21:15, AL7JK John Raynsford wrote:

> Intresting to read through past postings regarding the on/off nature
> of the transponder. Could this be a housekeeping function of the
> on board battery/power controls?
> When its  "on"  very nice satellite indeed ...
> 73 & Good DX to all ...

No, the on board computer has nothing to do currently with the ham
transponder schedule.  It has to be manually activated by a ground
control station every pass in order to be active.  So you're most likely
just hitting pockets of when people are around to turn it on that have
the command codes to do so.  Also, its on an auto-off timer, I don't
remember for sure, but I believe after its commanded on, it stays on for
10 minutes before it requires another command on.

Ryan Butler, KB0JQO
rbutler@tsss.org