Yaesu FT-790Mk2 FM steps

Hi All

I have been using SO-50 FM repeater with a Yaesu FT-790Mk2
as down link receiver. The nominal frequency at 436.795MHz
could not be selected with standard FM steps of 12.5/25/50kHz.
(FT-790Mk2 ships with these as default) I also needed fine steps
to keep in step with the doppler.
This however can be easily changed to 5/10/20kHz steps.

Proceed as follows and put scews in a jar:
1) Top covers and side plates off. Remove dial back light operating rod.
2) Pull the front CPU dial section from the main boards.
3) Separate the CPU and interface boards.
4) In the center of the board closest to the display (CPU unit) and front
panel keys
    locate the green wire with white dashed painted lines on the board
under it.
    Cut the wire or just unsolder it from one end and insulate.
5) Re-assemble in reverse order to above being careful not to crush wires.

I didn't even loose the stored memory channels and set works fine on
5/10/20kHz
Refer to the circuit diagram (CPU unit F2820000A for details)

Good DX on SO-50, 73, John ZL2TWS