interesting observation on helix feed

This reminded me of the discussion of whether or not to paint raw metal
(material heat gain).
I firmly believe any job worth doing is worth doing over and over again, so
my helix feed for my AO-40 dish is simply tack-soldered onto the pin/solder
cup that comes out of the N-type panel connector.  No other means of
physical support.  Well, in this case the ground plane for the helix feed
is a 6" diameter coffee can lid, unpainted.  The helix is 1/8" refer
tubing, also unpainted/untreated.
Today in passing I noticed the helix was akimbo re: where it should be
pointed with respect to the reflector.  Investigating bare-handed showed
that it was really darned hot...evidently hot enough to move the solder
joint into the plastic region--gravity took care of the rest.
It was under 100F (38C) in Phoenix today, but the solar loading was
evidently enough to do the trick.
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Scott Townley NX7U
Gilbert, AZ  DM43di