AO-40 K-Band and FEC telemetry

Hi Group

During the last two available orbits, I have been able to compare FEC
telemetry to the standard tlm on K-Band.  I am using the StaRCV soundcard
software to receive the tlm.  This seems to work as well as AO40rcv
for  standard telemetry.

With no passband activity,  some standard blocks and all FEC blocks are CRC
OK.   With passband activity on, the level of the beacon is modulated by
the user signals and this generally causes most standard blocks to be
corrupted.   The FEC telemetry seems able to cope with this "amplitude
modulation" and most blocks are recovered as good.

I am using CP to minimise spin fading.  I would guess that FEC would be
able to cope with the deep  spin fading  present when linear polarisation
is used.

Signal levels are currently quite good on K_Band.  This morning I measured
16dB S/N ratio (at 5 deg squint).

73

Charlie G3WDG