RE: BPL

Setting up servers depends on your ISP.  In my case, there's no problem doing this.  With DSL you at least have the potential of choice for your ISP - not so with any of the CATV-based systems I know of, and likely not much choice with BPL.  I've got several friends that use the same ISP that do run public servers over their 128k upload rate DSL connections - but you can be sure that the content-heavy pages (photo albums, etc.) don't load as fast as they do at the big boys' sites.  They're not business sites, and they don't have a strong need to impress a customer.  Most of the other pages are deliberately designed to be light weight, with few graphics.  Perhaps the biggest benefit (when done correctly) is being able to set up an email server - a destination for email coming to you, and to handle delivering email you generate, directly to the destination server - getting the ISP out of the loop.

The usual DSL (Assymetric) and Cable both have limits on your sending bandwidth, that are lower than your receiving bandwidth.  There exists Symmetric DSL, in which the data rates are obviously symmetrical.

>I've also seen some ISP's get pretty hostile to the idea of a customer
>setting up their own server on a static IP service, or connecting a
>router to share the connection using NAT, or hooking up a WAP.  Don't
>know how much the proposed BPL implementation would differ from that,
>but my guess is they want money, and would want to squeeze even more
>from people who want to do more than just be good little consumers
>content with email and web surfing.  Try setting up a VPN or your own
>home web server and you'll quickly see what I mean.  Generally, they
>want you to get a commercial T1 if you're going to set up a web server
>that gets any kind of traffic at all, because they seem to feel you're
>cheating them if you can get a server working on a home broadband
>connection.

Again, once you have an ISP that will assign a static IP (sometimes for a per-month premium), they should allow you to set up servers.  Terms of Service agreements are everything here.  In the case of the ISP using NAT themselves (some of the Cable ISPs do/did this) or DHCP (frequently their preferred solution) it's a bit more difficult to set up a server, unless you use one of the services that allows your server to tell the service what your current IP address is (or get it from the incomming connection) and then updating your DNS entry in their server, to make the host name resolvable.

Some ISP's don't want you to set up servers, from both the bandwidth usage perspective, and the system/network security aspect.  Many home and small-business users are insufficiently sophisticated to make their systems secure against spammers and hackers, and the ISP's don't want to have to perform the support needed to address systems acting as open email relays or sources for denial of service attacks.  Some will firewall their network so that the only server ports that are exposed to the internet are for their own sub-lan of servers for mail, web, ftp, etc. services.  Depends on how restrictive they feel they have to be to 1) protect their systems, or 2) protect their customers.

>Not that they won't leave the implication wide open that you CAN do it
>when they're trying to sign on new customers .. dry laugh .. classic
>marketing game .. but my suspicion is that BPL won't be any
>more useful
>for home web server use than any other home broadband connection ..
>                   Bruce Bostwick N5VB

Hope that improves understanding,

73, Bob, KD7NM

Robert Donnell, KD7NM