Re: USA hams need GEOsat :-)

Steve:

Most "deregulation" has only occured within the past decade after over two
decades of rapid increases in the costs of power generation relative to the
increases in retail rates that were permitted by regulatory agencies.  One
result is that there was more money to be made in generating power than in
distributing it and much of the grid failed to get the attention and
investment that it needed.  A few years under "deregulation" can't and
hasn't fixed the problem.  I put "deregulation" in scare quotes due to the
fact that many states (e.g., California, where I live) have largely
deregulated the generation and wholesale side of the business but not the
retail side where there are still limits on what can be charged to the
retail consumer.  This is what created the potential for "gaming" the market
that Enron and others engaged in.  Had wholesale rate increases been passed
along to retail customers, consumption would have quickly adjusted downward,
making it very difficult for suppliers to profit from the game.

Another aspect to the problem is that we haven't been building enough power
generation facilities relative to the growth in power consumption.  One of
the biggest limiting factors here has been regulation and environmental
extremism (especially where nuclear power is concerned) which have made it
unattractive if not even impossible, in many cases, to affordably build new
generation facilities.  This has forced up rates while creating more
potential for massive power outages like the one which hit the northeast
yesterday.  NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) sentiments amongst voters has
further aggravated this problem.

This is certainly NOT the list for this discussion so, if you'd like to
correspond about this further, please send your missive to my address only.

73,

Rick
KG6IAL