Re: BPL

Jeff,

I certainly do NOT support BPL.  Very BAD engineering idea.  Probably a
"wonderful" (for the investors) business opportunity.

But to answer you your rhetorical question: "who really needs HS
connection?", there are couple ones for hams:  If you support a server (bb
or ham business) or provide an IGate then the only way I know of is thru a
24/7 connection which implies DSL, T-1, or other "wideband" connection.

I would love to have DSL because my dial-up only provides me with 19 to 21
Kb connection (costs me $26/mo).  Their central office equipment cannot
support DSL speeds.  There is no TV-cable.  NO wireless connections (too
low density population).  Satellite is too expensive (requires a 6-foot
dish in Alaska).  But I will not use BPL even if it comes to town.

My wife wants to set up her home-based business (CAD design) and needs high
speed connections for her clients.  I will probably be forced into
installing a microwave data-link to the nearest CO...yuk!

So, yes most consumers are fine with "poky" dial-up service...a few of us
have legitimate needs for more.  Providers are slow to expand their
infrastructure (seem to be milking the customer).

73, Ed - AL7EB