Re: Question on AO-40 for downlink

Ronald Nutter wrote:

>I am putting together an AO-40 station that will also be portable.  My question is the amount of tilt I need to have for the antennas to point to the bird.  I have a commercial grade tripod that I will be starting out with.  Assuming that straight ahead of you is 0 degrees and straight above is 90 degrees, in north america, how far above 0 degrees should I expect to be able to point the antennas to see AO-40 ?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Ron
>Ka4kyi
>

>----

In most of the middle lattitudes, (that is about 40 degrees), you will
need to be able to point the antenna up to about 47 degrees. IIRC that
is as high in the sky as the bird will get on a good pass. Add 1 degree
in elevation or so for every degree south of the 40th parallel that you
travel.  Since the satellite's position changes constantly, you will
either need the printout from a satellite tracking program or a laptop
to track it in real time. NOVA has a listing utility for all of the
critical parameters, and a printout can be more reliable out on the road
than a laptop with a dead battery, and save complication while setting
up to operate. For Field Day, I printed out the position and squint data
for each 15 minute interval, this is usually good enough for portable
operation.