Question about the IC-910H on satellite

Hello Folks

I have the loan of an IC-910H and I had my first live go with it last night
on FO-29. I had no problem getting it working and in the short time I played
with it I found the Doppler adjustment method to work quite well in
satellite mode (although I don't understand why it has to blank one of the
displays while you manually correct for Doppler).

I am trying to figure out if the satellite mode is of any use when operating
FM analogue or digital birds, or if operators simply use it in non-satellite
Duplex mode?

73 Howard G6LVB