Re: [officers] Re: "Two Hundred Meters and Down," 2003 edition

> My point is that inefficient analog modulation methods cut both ways.
> Not only are they easily interfered with, but they cause a lot of
> interference to others because of the high power levels required to
> produce acceptable signal-to-noise ratios. So far the emphasis seems
> to be on the interference it can cause to the amateur service, but I
> can't imagine that there won't also be a lot of interference *to* BPL
> by amateurs, aggravated by the very high power levels many amateurs
> use on HF. If the FCC is really determined to approve BPL, the
> potential for interference *from* the amateur service *to* BPL could
> represent the more serious threat to the amateur service.

My $.02:

It really makes a difference in terms of principle whether it's
*necessary* for a system to generate this much interference.  If there
was *no* other way to get last-mile broadband than to generate
broadband RF interference across virtually every HF band there is, then
I'd see this as more of a valid argument.  As it stands, BPL is about
the worst possible choice for last-mile, simply because it's planned
for transmission lines that are totally unsuited for it out of sheer
laziness and desire to make a quick buck from people who neither know
nor particularly care what it means to those of us who are already on
the band.  It doesn't HAVE to be as bad as it is -- that's what gripes
me.  It's possible to give Joe Customer his cheap broadband without
doing it over a connection that was never intended to carry data.

I guess it bugs me that someone can propose such an idiotic scheme,
either out of sheer thoughtlessness or even a deliberate intent to
squeeze ham radio into extinction (and I've long suspected that a lot
of the big telecom companies have at least a covert desire to do
exactly that, mainly because they want to use our spectrum for more
stuff they can make money on), and nobody outside of a few in our own
community understand how technically, and ethically, wrong it is.  It's
simply the fact that it's *unnecessarily* disruptive .. and yes,
there's enough folklore about ham radio out there that a repeat of the
TVI fiasco of the 50's and 60's is probably inevitable.

Anytime someone's TV, cordless phone, WLAN, etc. in the neighborhood
gets twitchy, the neighborhood ham is the first person whose door gets
pounded on, and I suspect if BPL doesn't work right, the same will be
true of it, regardless of whether the neighborhood ham was causing the
interference or not.  And, add to that the likelihood that most folks
on HF will NEED to run full legal limit just to bust through all this
QRN, and when the propagation is open you'll be fighting more noise
from more places and have to run enough EIRP to roast birds in nearby
trees .. well, you get the idea.  But .. even so .. it's more how much
ham radio is *perceived* as an interference source than how much it
actually is, which will be slim to none, most likely.  My impression is
that the overwhelming majority of the interference will be from BPL to
the amateur service, and there won't be much sympathy outside the ham
community when this happens.  Call me cynical, but I've seen this
happen ..

Heard from a flight instructor:
"The only dumb question is the one you DID NOT ask, resulting in my
going out and having to identify your bits and pieces in the midst of
torn and twisted metal."