Re: Re: ICBM Conversion for Civilian Launch

> Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 16:10:24 -0400
> From: Daniel Schultz
> Subject: [amsat-bb] Re: ICBM Conversion for Civilian Launch
>
> US Government policy to date has been that converted ICBM's can
> only be used to launch government-owned payloads, to avoid competing
> against the commercial launch industry. Amsat would need to petition
> the government to allow non-profit groups to use the converted missiles.
> Someone would then need to cover the cost of integrating the amateur
> payload onto the rocket.

Based on limited information, my understanding is slightly different.

I think the requirement is that the payload must be "sponsored"
by the government.  It appears that the implementation of the policy
is the DoD's Space Test Program:

	http://www.smcdet12.plk.af.mil/stp/stp.html

It also appears that just about anybody can be sponsored.  See:

	http://www.smcdet12.plk.af.mil/dodserb/dodserb.html

I assume that scientific merit greater than "I want to fly
an amateur radio transponder" is required.  On the other
hand, because I seem to spend most of my time writing research
proposals, this doesn't seem like an unsurmountable barrier.

I suspect that this policy originated from some Clinton-era
Office of Science and Technology Policy (OSTP) policies,
the 1994 "National Space Transportation Policy" and the 1996
"National Space Policy".

Of course, if anyone has better information, I would love to
hear it.

-tjs