Re: Primestar dish questions

Gene,

I have a 33-inch solid offset feed dish and mount it immediately to one
side of the G5400 elevation unit.  I use my UHF yagi for counterweight at
the opposite end (at one time the 1269 loop yagi was at the other end).
The 5-foot crossboom is sched-40 aluminum so seems strong enough to handle
the antennas.

I have found with the DSS family of dishes that the support arm is nearly
horizontal when the dish is pointed on the horizon (I have no experience
with Prime Star dishes).  I use the sun's shaddow for fine calibrating it
(checking angle against the predicted elevation displayed by NOVA).  The
feed shaddow falls on the lower dish edge when correctly pointed at the
sun.  I can confirm this by watching the s-band noise floor rise 1/2 s-unit
when pointed into the sun.

73, Ed - AL7EB