Re: [officers] Re: "Two Hundred Meters and Down," 2003 edition

Louie:

You wrote:

> I'm curious what AMSAT's position on these matters are.  Are we going
> look to the future to develop operating techniques that can accomodate
> non-exclusive spectrum allocation policies, or complain that our
> 1912-style operating techniques aren't working so good in the 21st
> century?

First; we (hams) are NOT using "1912-style operating techniques" as you
charge. In 1912, everything was spark, the epitome of wideband techniques.

Second;  Broadband over powerlines has the demonstrated potential to render
ALL HF operating impossible, using modern-day techniques, SSB, and various
digital forms.  In fact the only technique which might stand a chance of
getting through its QRM is old-fashoned CW coppied by one of the best DSP
devices yet evolved - the human ear and brain of a good code op.  I hardly
think you would want to see amateur radio go back to being strictly CW as it
essentially was during the 1920s.  Because BPL  harmonics are certain to
radiate even more efficently than the fundamental, it may very well have a
similar devistating effect on the VHF bands.

> Personally, I'd like to have more broadband network deployment and more
> wireless data ("Wi-Fi") capability available.

We would all like to see more broadband network deployment but let's do it
right, not the first, easiast and cheapest thing that comes along -
something that will be obsolete in a few years, but with us forever..
Putting BPL into essentially every neighborhood and every home will be worse
than the travisty FCC committed almost 50 years ago when it put the
Citizen's Band at 27 MHz.  It's still fighting the aftermath of that huge
mistake.

Yes, amateurs may eventially find a way to cope with the S-9 and above hash
that BPL will put into almost every ham receiver, but it will take years to
do it.  In the meantime, most current hams will have trashed their equipment
and given up the hobby.  So, when this utopean mode is developed and
deployed, our ham pupulation will be about what it was in 1912.  We cannot
sustain allocations with those kind of numbers.

You ask what AMSAT's position will be.  If I have anything to say about it,
we will oppose it with every means we can.  We have already filed comments
against it and are formulating reply comments.  I have reviewed many of the
nearly 2,000 comments filed.  Most come from ordinary hams who are fearful
of what it will do to the hobby thay love.  A very well thought-out and
well-researched set of comments came from ARRL providing numbers as to what
it will do.  The National Association of Broadcasters and Maximum Service
Telecasters also comment against it.  So did the National Acadomy of
Sciences.  Of course, many powe companies and associations of power
companies, as well as manufacturers of some of the equipment to be used,
were wildly in favor and expressed sentiment similar to yours.  "Let's
everyone have broadband, and here's a realy neat, cheap way to to it.  Never
mind that it will render the HF radio spectru and possibly much the VHF
spectrum essentially useless and put Amateur Radio out of business.

Instead of throwing away everything we have, FCC and industry should be
coming up with good, non- disruptive ways of bringing broadband to the
masses, not grasping at the first straw that blows in the wind.

Maybe by "look to the future to develop operating techniques that can
accomodate
non-exclusive spectrum allocation policies," you mean something like
EchoLink.  Yes, you can talk to hams on it, and you don't even need a radio
or a big ugly antenna.  But, it sure isn't ham radio

See you on the low end of 40.  I'll be running 1.5 kW and a beam to get
through your BPL hash.

73,

Bill Tynan, W3XO
Still AMSAT-NA Board Chairman until September 15

And BTW, I don't like working CW.