Re:

>Who will share pictures and description of how they converted BBQ dishes
>into a screened round dish using the K5OE "P5 Special" approach.
>
>WN7B soldered #6 copper wire for the frame extension and used a hot glue
>gun to attach the aluminum window screen.
>
>What other neat ideas are out there?

Hi Allen,

I don't know how "neat" it is, but on O13 I used a 30" round dish that was
just barely able to hear signals on O13 with the equipment I had at that
time...home brew pre-amp, etc...

I took 3/8" mesh screen called "hardware cloth" here...It has solder
joints, and is galvanized.  I cut 8 "petals" with about a 1" overlap where
they butted, about 4" to over lap the periphery of the screen, to give me
about an 8" radius increase to the dish.  I conformed the petals to the
contour of the dish, as best I could using pop rivets.

Easier to do than describe, but I can take a picture if you wish..

I have no idea of the gain increase, but it enabled me to get on O13 with
ease.  My grandson shot hockey pucks at it (accidently!) when it was laying
on the ground in the backyard until AO40 came along, and I used it for my
initial contacts on AO40 when the transponder was first tunred on..So it is
pretty rugged!!

            73, Dave wb6llo@amsat.org
                    Disagree: I learn....