From: "Margaret Leber" <maggie@voicenet.com>
To: "Randy Mclean" <rmclean@natdoor.com>
Cc: "Don Woodward" <dbwoodw@alltel.net>; "Amsat Bulletin Board"
<amsat-bb@AMSAT.Org>
Sent: Thursday, August 07, 2003 19:16
Subject: Re: [amsat-bb] Membership Drive Idea

Randy Mclean wrote:
> I think sending the PDF is a great idea, except make it an option for
> all members. I wouldn't mind receiving the PDF rather than a printed
> copy.
> At 04:24 PM 8/7/2003 -0400, Don Woodward wrote:
>> What if AMSAT offered new members a special introductory offer of
>> first-time only membership for say $20-$25 with an email of a .PDF
>> version
>> of the AMSAT Journal rather than printed/mailed?

Before we get all excited about this, bear in mind that a PDF edition of
AMSAT News would not be a small thing, especially for people on dialups.

I'm the editor of the Phil-Mont Mobile Radio Club "Blurb", a club
newsletter that's has had a proud history of being published monthly
since 1950. We've had some decent content from time to time, including
an article I wrote on the history of amateur radio in space.

These days the Blurb is ten pages in size, with approximately the same
balance of graphics vs. text that AMSAT news has.   A typical issue of
the Blurb in PDF format (because that's how I ship the fully-imposed
issue) runs somewhere between 1.3 and 2.5 megabytes...not a trivial
download itself for some people. My current AMSAT News is three times as
many pages.

Furthermore, the data size can nearly double for an email attachment,
due to encoding issues. Certainly, a PDF-format AMSAT News should be
downloaded from a webserver via an URL rather then emailed out as an
attachment.

That said, it's vastly cheaper to distribute a PDF newsletter than a
dead-tree edition though snailmail.

  Vist the Phil-Mont website (also largely my fault these days) at

  http://www.phil-mont.org

  73 de Maggie K3XS

--
-----/___.   _)   Margaret Stephanie Leber    / "The art of progress is/